Pages

Saturday 5 November 2011

Jay Park 'Girlfriend' Review


This is probably one of the few songs I've ever fallen in love with at first listen. Maybe it's the catchy chorus or the smooth flowing rap, but something has definitely caught my attention. The hip-hop style gives it an instant similarity to many Western songs, so despite having a language barrier (Korean) as a listener I feel immediately attached to the song, even if the only words I know are 'Be my Girlfriend, my girlfriend, my girlfriend, my girl'. The repetitive chords in the background give the whole song a lovely connection, making it whole. If you don't know what I mean, perhaps you should look up 'The Boys' by Girls Generation, where their song was very fragmented. In honesty, despite the huge hype over Girls Generation I believe Jay Park has probably won over them this time (in my opinion). However this opinion is deviating from the point of this post.

Just to reiterate it is a song which can be enjoyed even without knowing what the lyrics mean. The melody and smooth-flowing rap is a prime example how language does not really play a big part in a good song. There will always be something we can enjoy. Another reason why I instantly fell in love with this track was the music video. Although the storyline at first seemed a bit stalker-ish all was forgotten when Jay started busting out his dance moves. Immediately after that his initial "cute" image was transformed into a bad boy, every-girl-wants kind of boyfriend. The girl is cute, an added bonus for all us male viewers. 

But in case you haven't listened to the song yet, here it is below!



No comments:

Post a Comment